1.12.2011

what will he do with a crystal cake?

I absolutely love the holidays!! Blaine, however, does not share my enthusiasm for the season. Don’t get me wrong, Blaine likes the meaning of Christmas; but he does not enjoy the majority of festivities that surround it-the shopping, the jolly music, the decorating, etc.. In his opinion, these things are stressful, rather than joyous. Since it was our first Christmas as a married couple I was more excited than ever. I couldn’t wait to decorate the house and start putting gifts under our very first tree.

Another thing I couldn’t wait to do was start our own Christmas traditions. I guess the best traditions are the ones that just evolve (like the hat tradition at the Haladay house–maybe I’ll get to this in another post), but I like to plan ahead, so back in September I started asking Blaine his thoughts on new Christmas traditions for us. He assured me that we had plenty of time to decide, but suggested we go shoot mistletoe off the tops of trees. Instead I decided to take matters into my own hands and thought of an effortless way to ease my Scrooge into a more festive mood....

My mom always got my brothers and I ornaments each year, so I thought Blaine and I could start a collection of our own. I know this is corny, but I wanted to surprise him with this year’s ornament. So I placed the order, had it gift-wrapped with a personal message from Santa, and sent to our house. When it arrived I acted like I didn’t know what it was and Blaine urged me to open it. As I got it opened and Blaine saw the cake through the clear Wedgwood packaging, he said, "what the heck am I going to do with a crystal cake?" Sigh. After I explained to him what it was and that it wasn’t actually from Santa, he changed his tune and said, "Oh, that’s cute."

No comments:

Post a Comment