9.10.2010

the start of something new

Since this is my first real post, I thought I should explain how this blog came about...
I was inspired to create a blog for a number of reasons...1. my search for an inexpensive creative outlet, 2. my friend Brooke's very humorous blog about her move to Australia (and I thought I might be funny too), 3. other friends who have the most adorable children and/or great cameras whose blogs I enjoy reading/perusing the great photography (I thought, "one day I might have a nice camera and/or a cute child"), 4. as a way to expand my already extensive vocabulary (I'm being somewhat sarcastic, but I might throw a new word in here and there), and 5. since I just married Blaine 118 days ago I thought it might be a fun way for us (mainly me, I don't expect Blaine to ever write anything) to document the marital journey (without getting too personal, of course).



Now that I've shared my inspiration for starting this blog I have to admit I'm not really sure what to write about (see, I'm already losing points in the humorous blog category). Although, I must say I am pretty excited about the whole blogging thing now that I have the page "decorated" to my satisfaction.  In true Haladay (that's my maiden name...it's very strange to hear myself say that) fashion, I conducted a little "research" before I dove head first into the world of blogging.  I reached out to fellow blogger, Jessica (whose blog is, among other things, wonderfully "decorated," covered with great photos of her beautiful family, and includes some funny quotes from her young son) to figure out how to make my page "cute."  Then I came up with a corny name for the blog (if I was still a Haladay, I would have named it "Haladay.....Celebrate" because the way it sounds in my head reminds me of good times in Boone-another story for another day when it is otherwise relevant).  I told my new husband Blaine about my blogging intentions.  With a perplexed, and somewhat concerned expression on his face, he asked me why I wanted to become a blogger (maybe he was concerned that it would be difficult to blog without a computer--I'll get to that later).  My response was, "I don't know," with a slightly defeated tone.  His next question was "what are you going to write about?"  My response to that question, too, was a more defeated sounding "I don't know" and a sigh.  A few days later I went to dinner with my friend, Neely. (a sorority sister from Appalachian State who now lives in Columbia with her husband)  I told her about my blogging intentions.  She too wondered what I would write about.  I again replied with "I don't know."  I then explained the great adversity I might face in executing my blogging intentions, mainly due to the fact that Blaine and I do not have a computer at our house (all electronics I touch eventually turn to mush, and no computer I touch lasts longer than three years, but my parents live close by and I can use their computer, no worries).  I also explained to her my intention to post photos and such on my blog. She seemed to understand my long-term blogging plan. However, she soon discovered that the long-term plan explanation came with a disclaimer.  I told her, "but you see Nelly (I call her Nelly), I really don't even have a camera." (actually I have 4 cameras, but all of them have some impediment that precludes me from using any one of them regularly...but as you will see, I will figure out some way to post photos on this blog so that it is not just page after page of my ramblings)  So, after explaining the defective camera situation (see, all electronics turn to mush) Neely's only response was, "Oh, Hala," (my friends from App call me 'Hala'-short for Haladay) followed by a slight sigh, a disapproving head shake and a slight smirk (like deep down she really hoped to one day read my blog....I think Nelly would enjoy it actually) Despite Nelly's lack of enthusiasm for my blog, the lack of workable cameras, and lack of computers, I decided to move forward with my plan.  At some point during my blog planning I created the actual page, showed it to Blaine, and told him my next move was to decide on a post topic.  I discussed two potential topics with him and both were quickly rejected. Then I thought, "I can't just have a blog out there floating around the internet and never write anything."  A day or two passed and I decided to come up with a topic on my own....that's until I went back to Jessica for blog advice.  She told me to write like I'm talking to a friend; but because I don't have any followers yet, I decided to write like I am talking to myself (interesting thought). And since I don't have anything else to say about whatever it is I have just written about I will treat you (aka anyone out in the blog-o-sphere who might be inclined to read all of this) to a couple photos (I told you, whoever you are, that I would make it happen) of some artwork by my talented younger brother Tyler, as a little treat and in appreciation for your undivided attention while reading the conversation I just had with myself. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay Hala! Im proud of your first post! I will be your first" follower". Can't wait to see what comes next! - Neely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about 1 of the 4 cameras :). I know it's my fault, I dropped it after too much wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this plan. Now everytime I am having a bad/average/good day and want to scoop you up unexpectedly for queso and margaritas and then remember how far away from you I am, I can just follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete