10.30.2010

orange is not my color

Growing up in South Carolina pretty much means you're going to be a college football fan, and generally, you're going to pull for one of two teams.  You're either an extremely loyal Gameock fan, or you're a Tiger fan.  As the saying goes, we have a "house divided." I'm a Gamecock fan, and Blaine...well, he's a Tiger fan. The thing is, neither of us went to school at either, so I don't feel quite as bad about what I'm about to tell you...

Even though I might pull for help Blaine pull for Clemson on occasion (never when they're playing Carolina, of course), I've never dressed up in their colors and gone into their stadium intending to cheer for them; but last weekend I suited up in purple and orange and walked into Memorial Stadium with those very intentions.  I realize this doesn't make me sound like "an extremely loyal Gamecock fan," but it's okay because being "an extremely loyal Gamecock fan" doesn't mean I can't ever support the Tigers...especially because...come November 27, I won't be wearing this:


On November 27 I'll be decked out in garnet and black...which are definitely better colors; orange is not very becoming on me.  Blaine's brother has no problem wearing orange though.


Luckily, Mrs. Marti, Blaine's mom, is a Gamecock, too; she'll be wearing garnet and black with me when we enter Tiger territory on November 27.  Too bad Jade has already decided she's a Clemson fan.


I even promised Blaine I would do the "C-L-E-M-S-OOOOOOOOO-N, fight Tigers, fight Tigers, fight, fight, fight" with hand motions...and I came through with my promise.  In fact, I did it several times. 


As much as I enjoy being at the game, I have to admit it's easier for me to watch football on t.v.; I am too easily distracted by the band, the cheerleaders, the wave (which, I must say, I was quite impressed with the wave at the game...best wave I've ever seen and/or participated in), the conversations going on around us, etc..  The fact of the matter is this:  I enjoyed myself at the game...but it's the last time I will be pulling for the Tigers when I enter Death Valley this season!  Blaine, good luck to you and your Tigers when we come to town November 27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment